DIY my dreaming machine

DIY my dreaming machine

Table of Contents

  • My Requirements
  • Composition of a PC
  • Where to begin
  • Budget

1 My Requirements

Now I works in a PC desktop only on my office time, and it is a Mac machine, and after my office time, I primarily do entertainment and learning on my MacBook air (mba).

To be honestly, I like my mba, but not my IMac, Mac system is stable, UI friendly and upgrade my efficiently a lot only with a high-ranking hardware, its so bad IO efficiency make her only perform good with a SSD driver inside. And also it's horrible scalability and its closed nature like Windows make her less funny in a nerds's eye.

So what's my dreaming machine is? I think the answer is on the DIY field.

It has to running a Linux system, for software hacking and audio composition. My favorite configuration is intel haswell CPU with more the 8G memory with a nice display, and also with vt-d compatible.

2 Composition of a PC

The CPU, Motherboard, Memory, Hard Drive, power supply, Display and a Case.

3 Where to begin

  • First to choice the CPU, I prefer the fourth generation of Intel i5 serialwith haswell architecture. AMD has good reputation in the cost performance of the middle-lower class of DIY market, but consider its linux friendly and I already has an AMD one, now the budget is not a problem.
  • Then, I narrow the motherboard to LGA 1150 compatible ones, because of thehaswell architecture. Also I wanna play bare-metal level virtualization, like Xen. I must choice the VT-d compatible motherboard, the Asrock has good reputation in the community, and consider linux's bad driver compatible for PCI expansion cards, I need not to consider its expansibility, I think the middle-low class chipset B85 is enough. In this case, it is Asrock's B85 serial, personally, I like its Micro-ATX board.

Now, I have the Intel i5 4th generation CPU with Asrock's B85m serial motherboard.
  • Memory, I choice the single piece 8G RAM, consider the future upgrade to 16Gby plug in another one.
  • Hard drive is the crucial part to improve the performance. So I choice theSSD drive directly with my older 500G hard drive as the secondary one.
  • Display: I prefer 1920*1080 pixels level.
  • Power: 400w is OK.
  • Case: I like a quiet and also its appearance. that's a hard decision, still working on it.

4 Budget

Name product Price
CPU i5-4th 1300
Motherboard Asrock B85 500
Hard Drive SSD 250G 650
Memory 8G - 1600 300
Display 1920*1080 800
Power 400-500W 300
Case ** 500
SUM ** 4350

Yeah, the price unit is China Yuan(RMB)

1 US dollar = 6.2 RMB;
4350 RMB = $700

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bluedroid stack in android

How to setup a NAT server?

Network programming in elisp